Friday, March 09, 2007

Foz do Iguaçu: The Brazilian Side

During my February travels, my first stop was Iguaçu Falls, arguably one of the most impressive series of waterfalls in the world, perhaps rivalling only Victoria, which I also have had the privilege of visiting. I arrived in the Brazilian town of Foz do Iguaçu after a long afternoon and evening of flights, which were delayed as often happens in Brazil. Finally arriving at 3 am, I caught a few hours of sleep before heading out to Parque Nacional do Iguaçu to spend my first day viewing the falls from the Brazilian side.

After riding a bus through the national park to a point where the walking trail begins, I stepped off the bus to begin an incredible hike through the national park viewing an incredible series of waterfalls. The series began with a series of smaller falls that were impressive in their width, and gradually built up to one of the most incredible sights I have ever seen. The final fall is know locally as Garganta do Diablo, or "Devil's Throat." This fall occurs where two falls meet at right angles creating an incredible spray of water from the collison of two walls of water plummeting into the gorge below. I was able to walk out on a catwalk to feel the spray of the falls and feel the vibrations of the water crashing to the floor of the gorge, and to hear the incredible thunder of flowing water. Finally, I rode an elevator to an overlook that allowed for a view from above the falls. I found myself returning to the catwalk overlooking this fall several times, before I finally headed back to town late in the day to rest up for my trip across the border to the Argentine side of the falls the following day. Pictures of the Brazilian side follow, and I'll post a separate post with photos an account of my trip to the Argentine side.


Welcome To Foz do Iguaçu

One of the Smaller Falls

More Small Falls

View from the Trail

A Large Fall

Another Fall

The Catwalk

Me at the Last Fall

Me Approaching the Last Fall

Another View of "Devil's Throat"

Another View

Postcard from the Edge

Rainbow

The View from Above

View from Above

The Viewing Platform

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home